Sunday, May 3, 2009

My Little Artists


I love that quiet time when I can pull out supplies, treasures, etc and create something new and beautiful. Most of the time this happens in the quiet hours of the night when kids have been tucked in for the night. The girls however, always seem to be aware of the projects I am working on and beg on a weekly basis to do something too. Now, I have to be honest and admit after working a full day, running a household, doing homework.......you get my meaning..... the last thing I want to do is make "crafts" with my kids. Now understand, I have a room in our house full of projects and supplies that they try and enter on a daily basis. I could put them off no longer and we hunkered down Sunday afternoon to CREATE. I went in my room to find something. I had bought these little chipboard flower books really cheap and I also pulled stickers, ribbon and misc. paper to bring to the crafting table. They were so excited and went and found some pictures to use. I made them do all the work, Brooklyn traced, cut and glued everything. Bronwyn being more meticulous took her time to make sure the flowers were cut to perfection. We spent all afternoon working on the project. It was so nice being able to spend time this way with them. They love to create, just like I do and I realized I needed to allow them the resources and time to work on projects to allow their creativity to flow.It was the kick in the butt I needed and I have vowed to spend more time"creating" together. I leave you with the very wise words of Pablo Picasso:

All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.


1 comment:

Pretty Things said...

This is what I hope of Zack. He is ALWAYS wanting to do a craft, wanting to draw, wanting me to teach him to melt glass. I just had to get out my jeweler's saw to fix Rick's glasses and he was enthralled. I hope to keep him going with it forever!