Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Reaching the Summit



All summer I have been working on a project at BYU for Homecoming Spectacular at the Marriott Center in October. It's a awesome show that showcases all the talented BYU groups. We also honor a BYU founding father. This year it is Eugene Roberts, who was the first athletic director at BYU and he founded the Timp hike. We wanted to film the actor on the top of Timp for the finale, so we hiked yesterday and filmed on the summit. (About 12,000 feet) I was a little nervous about going because it's a pretty intense hike. About 20 miles round trip. Nat decided to join the shoot and hike and we were laughing about the last time we hiked Timp. 15 years ago this month! I think we were in better shape then and skinnier! We made it up in about 5 hours and spent about 3.5 filming on the summit. It was awesome. It included a lot of aerial shots with a helicopter and some ground shooting. It was also fun working with my great friend Jeff Parkin and his son Jeremiah (who played the young Eugene). Jeff is writing the script and he directed this film shoot. He is an amazing talent! And Jeremiah hiked that whole way at 10 years old! I forgot how good it feels to really accomplish such a physical feat! It was fun and although I'm feeling it today, I'm glad I REACHED THE SUMMIT! (The theme for BYU Homecoming this year.)

The helicopter has a camera mounted on front, to get the shots.

The actors on top of the summit.
Filming beauty shots on the ground.

The awesome cast and crew!

1 comment:

charrette said...

I don't know how I missed this, but I so want to cheer you on for doing that humongous hike and an 18-hour day of hard exercise AND film production! I wish I could have gone, but I think it's awesome that all of you made it to the top!